C is a general-purpose programming language that is extremely popular, simple, and flexible to use. It is a structured programming language that is machine-independent and extensively used to write various applications, Operating Systems like Windows, and many other complex programs like Oracle database, Git, Python interpreter, and more.
History of C Language
The history of the C language is interesting to know. C programming language was developed in 1972 by Dennis Ritchie at bell laboratories of AT&T (American Telephone & Telegraph), located in the U.S.A.
Dennis Ritchie is known as the founder of the c language.
Where is C used? Key Applications
– ‘C’ language is widely used in embedded systems.
– It is used for developing system applications.
– It is widely used for developing desktop applications.
– Most of the applications by Adobe are developed using ‘C’ programming language.
– It is used for developing browsers and their extensions. Google’s Chromium is built using ‘C’ programming language.
– It is used to develop databases. MySQL is the most popular database software which is built using ‘C’.
– It is used in developing an operating system. Operating systems such as Apple’s OS X, Microsoft’s Windows, and Symbian are developed using ‘C’ language. It is used for developing desktop as well as mobile phone’s operating system.
– It is used for compiler production.
– It is widely used in IOT applications.
Features of C Language
C is the widely used language. It provides many features that are given below.
Machine Independent or Portable
Mid-level programming language
structured programming language